Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My very own blog…YEAH! I have looked at blogs, contributed to blogs, hunted for “must read blogs”, had conversations about blogs and now I have my very own blog hmmm … I’m kind of wondering what this will all turn into. I remember the first time I heard the word “blog” someone at school was talking about a blog they had contributed their opinion to and other people on the blog were angry and disagreed with their opinion and it started a heated debate. I was interested and wanted to know what a blog was, but everyone else at the table seemed to know so I didn’t ask the ill-bred question “what’s a blog?” Then one night we were having dinner with my husband’s family and Amy was talking about writing her own story on a writing blog. Ahhh-ha, finally, here is someone I can ask, Amy shared her blog with me and all the in and outs of blogs and blogging. From that point on I was educated and could contribute to “blog” conversation and tell my own “blog” stories!

I think blogs should make sense; there should be some point to it all. I don’t like blogs that ramble and really have nothing to do with the topic at all. Quality blogs have some pointed reason for being and I like it when you get exactly that.
Blogs in school? I’m wondering about that and really researching the possibility that blogs in school might actually be a good thing. I can envision my fifth grade students enjoying creating a blog as a writing project. Blogs are very present and they have all sorts of reasons for being and they would be fun for a ten year old. Kids love computers and like to work and create on them and we all learn … a lot… when learning is fun and fresh and interesting. I’m not sure but I think blogging would reach everyone. I’m mainly thinking of those kids that have trouble with reading and writing. They are the ones that get pulled out of class for extra help and have different books than everyone else. I’m always looking for new ways and things that will help them improve their reading and writing and something that will make them feel good about themselves. Instead of looking around the room and sizing themselves up against students they think are better than they are. I like learning tools that do not separate some students from the rest of the class. Computers, usually, are an interest to all of them. The jury is out, for me, on blogs in schools (for the age group I teach), but I’m definitely looking at the pros and cons for the coming school year.

I like writing blogs, political blogs, fashion blogs and family story blogs. Some of my favorites are http://apoliticus.com/ which is a blog from a humorous political standpoint, http://writeanything.wordpress.com, which is a place to write stories. I go to a lot of fashion blogs, one of them is http://www.fashionofgoodwill.org/blog/

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your page is beautiful, I agree with you that blogs should serve some kind of purpose. I must be interesting to have a debate on a topic with such a wide range of people. I think blogging in school might help students who do not have interest in writing to be able to express themselves a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! How did you get your page to look so pretty? I also agree with you that blogging in schools could definitely increase interest in reading. Students would be practicing reading and writing and not even realize it! Sneaky!

    ReplyDelete