10. Technology Stuff
I learned how to use a headset, create a blog and use PB Works. I have had on-line courses before but they have always been a bit dry, not much to them this class added some flavor to the on-line experience.

9.Groups
I was able to banter with other people in my group just to make sure I was on the right track. When your in an on-line class and you do not have contact with other people in the class it can leave you with a void or in a constant state of wondering if your doing things correctly. Definitely liked having a group!

8. PB Works
The class story was so much fun. When I first heard Dr. Pence talk about it I was sure it was going to be confusing and difficult. Boy, was I wrong! I absolutely loved it and would really like to do something that in my own classroom.

7. Proust and the Squid.
Now, I must admit when I first started reading this book I fell asleep a couple of times. Getting through the first sections was rough. I hung in there and got to the second section, which I think is the best part of the whole book and I slowly made it to the end. It is a very good book, its complicated but it does teach a lot and it helps you understand dyslexia. I know what dyslexia is, but I never knew why it existed or what caused it. Truly, I learned and I recommend the book!
6. Assigned Readings and Videos
I appreciated that the assigned readings were interesting and easy to get through and understand. I learned so much from the articles and videos. They are tools and strategies that sharpen me as a teacher which is a big plus for my students!
5. Weekly Class
I liked Wednesdays for once! I've never had a class that GAVE me tools to draw and doodle while I listened and contributed. I listen better, I know it sounds ridiculous but its true, when I doodle or draw.
4. Blogging about our books
The blogs are wealth of knowledge and view points. I wish I could keep this for myself to use throughout the year. I kept notes of some stuff but there is so much helpful information and ideas.
3. Lesson Plan
More great stuff I wish could take with me. So many viewpoints, ideas and strategies. It is amazing what you get when a group of teachers come together and they bring their experiences, ideas and ways of thinking.
2. Burrowing Owls
I have done this lesson before with my students, but it was a lesson I wanted to expand and add UMPH! to it, but wasn't really sure how or which way to go. The small portions of this lesson I did with them went over very well and they wanted more. I won't have those students again, but I sure am ready to give the next group more!
1. Gee's Theory
Having students become apprentices, its such an old word but Gee put a fresh new twist on it. Maybe I liked this article because it was related to the teacher and how the teacher needed to stretch and grow. We expect so much out of our students because the districts and states expect so much out of us. Gee's theory forces you to realize the students won't learn unless we provide an environment that is engaging to all types of learners, and learning is very small minimal when they are staring at a textbook. Its a training for us at first and I imagine you have fight yourself from going back to your old ways, but I believe it is worth the journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment