Sunday, November 17, 2013

Helping Students Understand Point of View

This chapter goes into great depth telling how to educate ourselves and teach students about point of view.

One way to establish a "mindfulness" that will require students to reflect on inferred knowledge they would use in a dramatic activity. The authors promote using drama throughout the book, especially for learning characters, setting and point of view. Making sure that the drama activity encompasses anyone or some or one strategy from the list I wrote in my last blog.

Another way to effectively teach point of view is using simulated texts. Simulated texts are a useful tool because they provide repeated practice with a specific strategy. The authors refer to this as a "concentrated sample". They recommend doing simulated text lessons after introducing point of view and participating in a drama activity.

What would follow after simulated text lessons would be to use student writing. The authors encourage student writings to be used in a number of ways because it can be very powerful to help them understand what they need to do as readers. Requiring students to write a monologue of their own gives them the ability to write about a reliable or unreliable narrator. Have the students read their monologues out loud and after each reading have the rest of the class assess the narrator's reliability and discuss the clues that drew them to their final assessment.

Once you have progressed the class in their learning utilize popular cultural material. Films and television shows because many of them will tell stories from multiple perspectives. You can utilize the website www.cinemagora.co.uk/tag-7347-multiple-perspectives.html gives a list of the best multiple perspectives voted on by people who visit this website. Using television shows with multiple characters and having students tell the story from specific characters point of view.

Lastly, music. It is another way to help give students an understanding of point of view. Many songs feature dramatized narrators such as Randy Newman's "Short People". Many people interpreted this song at face value and took offence to it, while in reality it was an ironic monologue. Bruce Springsteen has written many monologues and there are countless others from many other artists for teachers to chose from.

4 comments:

  1. These are some great ways to teach students point of view that I have never considered before. I like how after you get them to understand it and work with it then you move to popular culture. I feel most times people would use that as their hook. Finding point of view in popular tv shows, movies, and songs. Then they would go into writing. This is an interesting sequence that I will have to try out some day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to add one more way to teach point of view: find a controversial topic that students are interested in and select readings that represent two opposite sides of view on this topic. By reading these articles, students will be able to see how the topic is viewed differently from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of using music to teach that. I never thought of that and this is a great way to reach some of the ones that just tune out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your background. I think that using music to incorporate engagement is very interesting. I bet the students are very enthuised in this type of learning more hands on and fun!!! I also like Fang's idea. I think I want to try this. Thanks for these great tips to becoming a better teacher for my students.

    ReplyDelete