Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Interpret and Create Setting

The authors list four challenges that seemed important to target and help teachers teach setting

1. Help students attend to the appropriate levels and dimensions
2. Help students realize the salient features of setting
3. Help students use their own experiences to figure out the rules of how these levels and dimensions work with text
4. Help students attend to the interplay of the dimensions and to make predictions and interpretations

It seemed like a lot to me to take in, but as I continued reading the author included a story and a making prediction questionnaire to help students begin to understand about setting. It certainly is a different approach, one I have not used, so I uploaded the story for all of you to read and then fill out the Making Predictions sheet. Try it, see what you learn from a learners point of view.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting questions. This seems like guided foreshadowing? I like that it isn't just predict what happens next, but choose why you felt this way. What grade level is this for? Is it younger children? I think the questions move the text beyond what it is on its own and really ask students to think about their choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grade level is 6 - 12. I teach fifth, so for my class I took the story and adjusted it so that I could use it with my students. My higher readers understood it, and actually enjoyed the lesson. My students that struggle with reading their focus is different. They did the lesson, and enjoyed it, but I they were apprehensive. I may try running this in a small group setting, maybe in reading groups so that I could work closer with my students who didn't quite understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great activity and I think your right that it may do well in a small group. It will get them thinking and talking.

    ReplyDelete