Sunday, October 6, 2013

And so we begin ...

I started teaching 12 years ago at Belen High School. I did not really know where I wanted to teach or if I even wanted to teach, but I did know I needed a job. I had applied with Belen Public Schools, and they offered me a job at the high school teaching ceramics. I knew nothing about ceramics, so I turned the job down. They called again insisting that I would be great at this job and there would be plenty of people to help. I took the job. Needless to say it was the most challenging positions I have held and there really were not a lot of people around me to help! Once I figured things out, I did start to have fun and realized that maybe teaching was where I belonged. The following school year I transferred to Los Lunas Schools and landed a job at an elementary school. I have been with Los Lunas Schools ever since. I began running a computer lab where the main focus was Fast ForWord, a program that was meant to help students learn to read. From there I moved to fourth grade and then to fifth grade which is the grade I teach today. I like bike ride. I find solace in bike riding some days my mouth waters when I think about what I get to do when I get home or when I get up in the morning. Bike riding clears my mind, calms my nerves and gives a burst of energy. I set goals for myself when I bike ride. I work to push myself over the next hill without having to stop or bike to the end of town and back home within a certain amount of time. Small goals that keep me energized to get on that bike again! I have a new found love of cooking. I like to read recipes and search for something I would like to try. I have given some of Julia Child’s recipes a try. Some I have been successful with and others, well I guess I need a little more practice. The book I am going to blog about is Literary Elements. I selected this book because I felt not only did it have theory, the book is teacher friendly with activities that can easily transfer to the classroom. The authors promise a refreshing approach to literary elements and offer teaches a wide range of specific activities to enhance student learning. So far the book has been pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this book. You might want to give us the entire title and the authors so that we can find the book if we want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I too am looking forward to this book. I really like books that give plenty of activity examples to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete