Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chapter 4 - Teaching Character With Particular Units and Texts

This chapter is soooo good! I'm not sure what to write about. The authors argue that story specific questions do not help students understand the story they are reading. They present that a set of questions could apply across stories AND they accomplish much more AND the students develop an ability to transfer.

I liked the Character response sheet because I find myself sitting in a reading group trying to come up with questions to urge my students to begin a discussion. The one strategy I used from this book last week really got my students talking, they were laughing and sharing. I loved it! My students enjoyed discussing the character in their book and it sparked other discussions about the book that I don't think I could have created it. I will give the character response sheet a try this coming week!

2 comments:

  1. Theresa:
    If you could share the character response sheet and the set of questions that can apply across stories, that would be great! I am very curious about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Maybe take a picture of the questions and upload it? It sounds great. Penny's questions that she gave when we analyzed the pictures, poems, and stories seem like they might fit here. Open ended questions that a geared towards personal connections rather than memorizing facts. I think this sort of thinking is key to making an emotional connection with the text. In addition, I think it would be so much more fun to read these types of responses rather than a bunch of same boring answers. Your book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete